Oh hey. I’m Brent and this year, I’m excited to serve as one of the ministry interns for the UNC Chapel Hill Wesley Campus Ministry! My unique focus will be outreach and I am stoked (do people still use that word?) to hang out with you all, hear your stories and see what this whole Big Wesley Love thing is all about!
One of my favorite things to do is meet for coffee (or tea, if you don’t drink coffee) and listen and talk and tell bad jokes and share stories … and I’d love to get to know you all that way, but just in case you need facts up front before committing to a coffee date, here are 15 things about me in no particular order.
1. I’m married to an amazing woman named Natalie. I can’t wait for you to meet her, just don’t let her smile deceive you. She’s got a bad streak.
2. I have a cat named Belle and yes, she’s named after the Disney princess. Because we’re cool like that.
3. I’m originally from Glen Allen, Virginia — a suburb of Richmond. I have a broadcast journalism degree from James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia and helped to plant a church there after I graduated. I have a passion for planting new faith communities and for working with young adults and college students — like you!
3. I have never been able to do a cartwheel.
4. I don’t know about you, but I secretly dig Taylor Swift. Please don’t tell anyone. It’s a secret.
5. One of my heroes is Archbishop Desmond Tutu. I especially like the way he talks about the Kingdom of God. He calls it “God’s Dream” and I love that language and the images it conjures and what it means for you and for me and for us. Let’s talk more about it over coffee. Deal? Deal.
6. I worked at the Haunted Mansion in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World for four months in 2006. I dressed up each day in a dark green tuxedo and spoke in a British accent. It was as awesome as it sounds.
7. U2 is my favorite band ever. Ever. And I have a man-crush on Bono. When I hear the first few bars of “With or Without You” or “Where the Streets Have No Name,” my knees go weak. Try it. You’ll see.
8. I won the school spelling bee in 2nd, 4th and 6th grades. When I was in 5th grade, I lost to a 2nd grader and I thought my life was over.
9. I impersonated Elvis when I was a junior in high school. It may or may not be somewhere on YouTube. If you’re nice to me, I’ll let you watch it … and laugh at me.
10. My favorite Muppet is Scooter. But Kermit is a close second because how can you not like Kermit?
11. Puns are my favorite.
12. The last best book I read was Life of Pi by Yann Martel. The movie was pretty great, too.
13. I’m a sucker for Chipotle. Natalie doesn’t like Chipotle so I’m always looking for someone to go with. Is that you?
14. My life verse is Galatians 6:11. Go ahead. Look it up.
Seriously. Let’s get coffee soon.